Saturday, February 27, 2010

Cyclocross like century

Todays route was the pretty standard metro century. Erik, Eric, Jeremy, and I set out for the monthly ride, which makes 14 consecutive months with a century for me. The day started off very nice. Departing weather was low 40s and sun. Can't beat that in February, though I am hoping soon to be able to ride in shorts without freezing. There was some snow and ice, but not that much considering we had snow a couple days ago. The first extended tunnel we were in turned out to have a nice base of glare ice. I was leading the way and was the first to slow speed crash, which caused Erik to crash into me. A couple tunnels later started out good, but had ice, then snow, and then hub deep water. I made it through unscathed, but looked back and the three others were all on the ground. Thankfully no one was injured, though there may have been some lost keys. We encountered some barricades we had to hike around and plenty of mud. Ride info is here. It was a pretty easy group ride for me. I felt pretty decent after not riding much the last week and a half due to tapering for last weekends snow race and a mid week work trip. My gps says I burned 5,400 calories. I don't buy that, but I bet it was a lot. Being able to ride all day in WINTER never gets old!

2 comments:

  1. the hub deep tunnel was the one going under wadsworth, I'm sure. That thing always has water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, that is where the three biker crash was too.

    ReplyDelete