Sunday, February 19, 2012

Ups and Downs

Todays ride with Eric started off with big plans.  The route had a lot of climbing, was going to be all roads of different types, and done on mountain bikes.  They are way more fun to ride and there is still some ice on the paths and dirt on the roads from recent storms.  I had a good ride Saturday, but did not think my legs would be that tired from it.  The headwind out of the south we rode against for the first hour was enough to tax me a fair bit.  Then we climbed.  Deer Creek to High grade.  It was painful.  I didn't have anything and my outlook on this ride was quite down.  Turning the pedals was agonizing.  I stuck it out and made it to the top where I ate some Honey Stinger Limeade chews and a Honey Stinger Berry Banana Buzz bar

After our short break we doubled back down to the High Grade Deer Creek canyon intersection.  It was so cold I stopped to do jumping jacks to warm up while I waited for Eric.  During the climb up to the top of Deer Creek canyon road I started to feel better.  Not great, just better.  Parmalee Gulch was much better.  I was feeling good.  A few hard efforts and a failed attach to far from the peak changed my outlook on this ride.  On the ride down to Morrison, I even tried to reel in a few roadies (I was still on mountain bike).

A little over 5,000ft of elevation gained and 5 hours.  It was frustrating that it took me two hours to get my legs under me, but the last few hours were great.  Looking back though, I guess I did have a decent rolling 7 days of training.  Info from todays ride here.

No comments:

Post a Comment